Let me start by saying that in no way is lying about your identity, phone number or any other part of your business something we condone at FluentStream. With that said, we live eat and breath phones and phone numbers and are frequently approached by people and companies that are looking to “spoof” phone numbers and have a fake phone number shown on the other end of the line. We want to set the record straight on these popular spoofing myths and how businesses can actually get local phone numbers to work for them.
Spoofing, burners, fakes, incognito, lies.
As I imagine you may have found this blog post, if you search for the functionality I just described, you’ll find plenty of services offering to do similar things. Unfortunately, these kinds of apps and taglines are what you will most likely find.
“Get a burner number.”
“Protect your privacy.”
“Fake your caller ID!”
“Disguise your voice.”
These “spoof companies” are usually bundled with other gimmicky, features such as disguising your voice and adding background noise to a call trick the person on the other end into believing you’re someplace that you’re not. These are intended for 15-year-olds wanting to prank call their boyfriends — not businesses.
For businesses, the concept of matching your caller ID to that of your intended recipient is called Local Area Presence or Area Code Matching. This offers a completely different service to businesses looking to expand their reach nationally than the traditional spoofing or caller ID faking.
Let’s break down the differences between these services.
What you need to know about phone number spoofing.
It is possible and fairly easy to do. For whatever reason you may for wanting to do this, you can manipulate the number that shows up on the caller ID, you can even send text messages with fake or temporary numbers now. Spoofing your phone number with the intent to defraud or do wrong is illegal in the United States. Aside from the legal implications, there are other downsides to a business practicing this including;
- It annoys and frustrates the callers you’re trying to reach with a fake number that possibly belongs to someone else.
- It is a time consuming manual process to enter a fake spoofed number on each outbound call.
- No one can call you back – they are burner numbers.
- It does not offer any legitimate business phone services like tracking in any way.
- Again, it is illegal depending on how you’re using such services.
What you need to know about Local Area Presence.
In a business focused on outbound calls, we know that every call counts. It’s a numbers game in most inside sales organizations and you’ll try anything to get anyone to answer on the other end of the phone. There are hacks to increase cold call rates but what businesses truly need when looking for such services is to have one primary phone number show up as a local phone number in any area they are calling.
We can’t speak for the other vendors of local presence but at FluentStream we actually buy phone numbers in the local markets our clients are trying to reach. That means you own a phone number in each market you’re trying to reach. That is roughly 250 phone numbers you will have at your disposale to call your targets across the US. That also means, your client or prospect can actually call back with agent call back and get an answer and in our case, they will be routed to the person that places the initial outbound call.
Real Benefits for Outbound Calling Organizations
There are of course some major, tangible benefits from using Local Area Presence with FluentStream.
- You get actual business phone service with all the bells and whistles you need to run your business.
- Real, useful phone numbers that you own!
- Your clients and prospects can call you back directly on the number you called them on AND reach the person that called them.
- Improve answer or callback rates by as much as 400%
- integration with business software including Salesforce or any other CRM you’re using to track calls.
- Easily used on softphones by remote workers and satellite offices and field sales people.
- Know the number you’re calling from. Leave a voicemail and leave a local number for them to return the call.
More On Local Area Presence
This feature is not as much magic is may seem to be. Unlike spoofing services that are just phone apps with an intentional lack of detail on how the number changes, Local Presence gives you complete control to the numbers you choose and own for your local presence. This is a professional grade, outbound sales focused service that works automatically whenever you place a call to another area code without keying in any information intended to make your cold calling more efficient.
There’s no need to dial an extra number before you dial your outbound number. You don’t need to call us first, just dial your number and the hosted VoIP system will take care of the rest so you can focus on what you’re going to say to the person on the other end of the phone.